Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Nicki Minaj "Pink Friday"

In the beginning I tried to defend Nicki Minaj and remind the Hip-Hop purists that we all loved Slick Rick and that was my comparison. Nicki Minaj is a character and if you listen from that state of mind you might actually laugh at some of her punch lines and give her a chance. Then the album started leaking and over and over I was disappointed. Now the album is out and I have completely swung to the other side. She still has a grip of punch lines with her best coming in “Did It On Em”, but I just can’t support Nicki with a straight face or any solid argument. Rihanna makes “Fly” worth a listen and probably a strong single for crossover audiences, but not one I will ever play again. After listening to the entire album I think that is her target audience. The album has a very strong Pop flavor. Nicki made her name as a witty and comical rap artist, but she strayed far away from the Hip-Hop we all love so dear. “Check It Out” makes me throw up in my mouth a little every time I hear it. One of the most vivid displays of Nicki’s lyrical slide is her lazy flow in “Here I Am”. I was listening and just shaking my head like ‘really?’ but it’s not the only track like that. The majority of the album, wait, all but one song from the album is crap. I love Hip-Hop way too much to endorse this album at all. For all you Pop fans – this is for you. I guess. For my Hip-Hop family, just cop “Did It On Em” for the punch lines and production. I anticipate a gang of her Barbie minions to pound on my review, but honestly, this is a horrible album. For the love of Hip-Hop, please do not classify this as Hip-Hop.



01. I’m The Best
02. Roman’s Revenge (Feat. Eminem)
03. Did It On’em
04. Right Thru Me
05. Fly (Feat. Rihanna)
06. Save Me
07. Moment 4 Life (Feat. Drake)
08. Check It Out (Feat. will.i.am)
09. Blazin’ (Feat. Kanye West)
10. Here I Am
11. Dear Old Nicki
12. Your Love
13. Last Chance (Feat. Natasha Bedingfield)
14. Super Bass
15. Blow Ya Mind
16. Muny
17. Girls Fall Like Dominoes

2 comments:

  1. Her shit is too deep. I just found out that the guy with the thing on his eye was Slick Rick. There are probably tons of similar instances in the album that will be eventually discovered.

    ReplyDelete