Monday, December 20, 2010

JAMIE FOXX – BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE


























When “Living Better Now” first dropped I leaned on it heavy and started crossing my fingers that Jamie Foxx was getting back to good music. Shoutout to Bink! for yet another stellar production hit. It’s been more than a year since “Speak French” came out and that was way too far in advance to have any impact on this album’s sales…but that “Speak French” is still a dope record. “Winner” started getting a lot of spins and is not a bad record by any means, but I still wasn’t sold. “Fall For Your Type” isn’t a bad record either, but I am so burned out on Drake that I had no interest in that record. Then “Freak” leaked and I lost all confidence in a dope album from Jamie. I hate that Hip-Hop and R&B are leaning so far into the Pop genre so hearing that Euro-flavored Pop tune really had me thinking Jamie was repeating the mistakes of his last album and just trying to capitalize on current trends in music. Finally I got my hands on the full album.

“This Will Be” is a fun intro and reminded me of Jamie Foxx singing on his TV sitcoms, but still had me doubting Foxx was getting back to good music. “Best Night of My Life” runs in next and is okay, but not a highlight. If you’re looking at the track listing – this is where you hit the run of singles with the smash “Living Better Now”, “Winner”, and “Freak”. Now finally some new material with “Hit It Like This” which sounds a lot like a Lil Wayne “A Millie” knock-off, but is stuck in my head on repeat. It might just be me, but “Yep That’s Me” had me thinking Jamie’s really sounding a lot like T-Pain. “Gorgeous” is nice but will test your patience with its run time clocking in over 5 minutes. “Let Me Get You On Your Toes” is a fly interlude that I’ll be spinning quite a bit, but you’ll recognize the beat immediately. “15 Minutes” is the first return to classic Jamie material with the sexy storytelling and comical touch. Now we’re getting to the vibe I’ve been waiting to hear and it continues with “Sleeping Pill”. My favorite line from “Sleeping Pill”…”Sex so good my toes are numb and I can’t feel my fingers”…I never had that happen before, but that had me laughing. “Rejoice” is okay, but not a highlight. Then we fall backwards into that Pop vibe with the auto-tune and heavy Pop beat with “All Said And Done”. Crossover material for sure, but not anything that I will spin in any setting. “Sex On The Beach” made me want to throw up in my mouth. I ain’t the one to swing glow sticks in figure eights over my head and blow whistles so I am not trying to hear that Euro rave mess. Overall, I liked just barely half of the album and will spin half of that. With Jamie’s track record it may be another two or three years before we get another full album. I’m not holding on to any hope fore a classic album from Foxx anymore. His 2005 “Unpredictable” was and still is his best album.

01. This Will Be (Intro)
02. Best Night Of My Life (Feat. Wiz Khalifa)
03. Living Better Now (Feat. Rick Ross)
04. Winner (Feat. Justin Timberlake & T.I.)
05. Freak (Feat. Rico Love)
06. Hit It Like This
07. Yep Dat’s Me (Feat. Ludacris & Soulja Boy)
08. Fall For Your Type (Feat. Drake)
09. Gorgeous
10. Let Me Get You On Your Toes
11. 15 Minutes
12. Sleeping Pill
13. Rejoice
14. All Said And Done
15. Sex On The Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment