Monday, August 1, 2011

Burned-Out by Wack Shit - Send New Heat

Hip-Hop and R&B are really beginning to bore me with the flood of new music streaming out and I can't find anything to motivate me. I've been digging through all the submissions and new music leaks every single day - even made a rare visit to facebook to open up submissions. The best thing I heard is Liv Warfield's album "Embrace" which is new to me, but was actually released back in 2006. J Green's "Eyes on Me" is a nice laid back record with production, delivery, and hooks that I really dig, but the song is super short with only 1 verse. Where are the unique styles? Who's doing something unique and legitimately dope? Maybe it's burnout from the flurry of work I did in July with 4 mixtapes, live sets for 2 different artists, weekly radio shows, etc.

I have zero interest in any 'remixes' of the "Otis" record (all remixes actually - stop being so fuckin lazy) or another Lex Luger beat driven over the same drum kits and synth patterns. The Freddie Gibbs "Rob Me a Nigga" record is getting some buzz, but really? I can't get through the hook of him saying "Rob me a Nigga" over and over and over and over. I respect that Big K.R.I.T. produced the record (been seeing more and more of his production work popping up lately), but the production is lazy - let's be honest. It's basically the same loop on repeat for 3 and a half minutes. I see Game flooding every possible outlet with tracks from his "Candy Coronas" project, but I have never been able to get into his flow or delivery or even just his voice. Never have liked Game. The J Cole EP is a disappointment since it's not new music at all. Drake's "Headlines" record is the same old crap I fully expect to hear from Drake. The Consequence and Pusha T drama is boring as hell and screams publicity stunt. I wanted to get excited for Cherlise and her "Love U Right" record with Lil Wayne, but we've already heard this same flow, sound, direction too many times. Love her voice...bored by the record. I recognize all the buzz for Frank Ocean, but nothing really groundbreaking original or unique there either. I do like the new Bei Maejor "Can't Believe" record but I don't know what kind of reaction I'm going to get when I spin it up. I think it's a great college crowd record. We'll see. And why does anyone give a shit if Soulja Boy buys a plane? That being a big news conversation is a sign of the apocolypse. Last year's summer was identical, but thankfully Big Boi saved Hip-Hop with his album "Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty". I'm crossing my fingers someone will drop a big album like that soon so I can get excited about music again. In the meantime I'm falling back on my collection of Teleoso records and leaning more and more towards dropping a full mixtape of nothing but old school shit twisted in with every sound that has ever caught my attention.

If you have some new HONESTLY dope shit, please send it and revive my interest, but please only send it if you honestly stand behind it as something unique. Even DJs are letting me down lately with endorsements of wack shit. If you're getting paid to endorse and promote music - get your money, by all means. But please, from DJ to DJ, reserve your endorsements sent my way to music you truly believe is unique and hot and music that you would spin without a single dime in return.

See what happens when a DJ get's frustrated with the stream of new music? Maybe it's just burnout. Maybe you feel the same way, but just didn't want to say anything. Maybe tomorrow I will hear something that turns all of this into pure bullshit and I'll launch into another 4 or 5 mixtapes for August...carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment