Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Diggin in the Crates: The Crusaders "Southern Comfort"



Whenever I dig in the crates I usually try to avoid artists that have been heavily sampled before. As a DJ I pride myself on finding and flipping shit that is dope and somehow has gone unnoticed. That's my edge...my Unique Styles. Although the Crusaders have been heavily sampled, I was still able to find some material from their SOUTHERN COMFORT album that has slipped through (until now) like the souful jazz in their title cut "Southern Comfort". The opening piano from "Greasy Spoon" or the bass guitar riffs from the opening of "Double Bubble" (which is really dope when you screw the pitch way down)...both dope clips that I will be chopping into my mixes.







Want to see how much the Crusaders have impacted Hip-Hop and who's sampled their music already? Check it here and here. You'll find names ranging from Guru and KRS-One to Digable Planets, Ice Cube, Method Man, Kool G Rap, Noreaga, the Beastie Boys, Ultramagnetic MCs, ATCQ, Tyrese, Snoop Dogg, Tupac....you get the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment