Monday, December 20, 2010

BEST ALBUMS OF 2010

I’ve seen a lot of lists recapping the flood of releases in 2010 and attempting to rank them would be next to impossible for me, but I have assembled a list of 2010 Albums that you should have bought and if you haven’t, you need to get them right away. Some most notable omissions from my list are albums that had huge buzz and sold big numbers; Kanye West, Drake, Nicki Minaj, and Eminem. Kanye dropped one of the most imaginative albums easily, but when I tried to roll it in my mixes I found that I really didn’t have a use for much of the album. It’s dope to listen to while you clean house, but too far out there for any practical use. If you haven’t kept up with any of my reviews or comments over the year; Drake over-saturated the market in 2010 and had me absolutely hating his voice. His album may have done well, but I didn’t think it was that great. He should focus on singing and abandon rap or at least stay the hell out my ear for 4-6 months. Nicki Minaj had a huge amount of buzz and even had me rooting for her as this generation’s Slick Rick, but her album is horrible except for one song (Did It On Em). Eminem can’t seem to do shit without including whining about problems he brought on himself. Listening to an addict cry about the pain and problems addiction brought him just isn’t entertaining to me. Diddy-Dirty Money dropped their “Last Train To Paris” album with a grip of noise and an astounding list of people touting its greatness, but I am not on that list in the least. I would pick Keri Hilson’s album over that Diddy-Dirty Money album. Feel free to fire away with your comments and tell me I’m an idiot, but these were the best albums of 2010 (in alphabetical order by artist name):

BIG BOISIR LUCIOUS LEFT FOOT THE SON OF CHICO DUSTY
BUN-BTRILL O.G
JEREMIHALL ABOUT YOU
KEITH SWEATRIDIN SOLO
LLOYD BANKSH.F.M. 2
MARQUES HOUSTONMATTRESS MUSIC
NE-YOLIBRA SCALES
SHEEK LOUCHDONNIE G: DON GORILLA
SLIM THUGTHAT THUGGA SHOW
TANKNOW OR NEVER
T.I.NO MERCY
TREY SONGZPASSION, PAIN, & PLEASURE
YELAWOLFTRUNK MUZIK 0-60

Yes, I heard the albums from Rick Ross, the Roots, Ghostface Killah, DJ Premier, Brother Lynch Hung, B.o.B., Shad, Cannibus…but didn’t think they were better than any of those listed above. Some artists dropped what they called ‘mixtapes’ that were actually more like full albums minus all the typical work put into the press, publicity, marketing, promotion of a full album. Without including any of the mixtapes I dropped with artists in 2010 I would highly recommend these: Noah Jones “Cinematic”, J Cole “Friday Night Lights”, Tum Tum “Purp KoBain”, Wiz Khalifa “Kush and Orange Juice”, Big Sean “Finally Famous 3”, and Na'tee “Guess Who’s Coming 2 Dinner”.

No comments:

Post a Comment